WHY ECONOMIC ANALYSIS AND POLICY?
Academic programme of master studies “Economic Analysis and Policy” (60 ECTS) belongs to the graduate (second) cycle of studying in the area of economics, specifically economic analysis and economic policy.
The programme follows highly dynamic evolution in the economic environment, and satisfies the needs for new competences, knowledge and skills which are necessary for graduate economists and required by companies and government institutes. At the same time, the programme follows all innovations in the area of education such as standards of Bologna process, as well as the directions of development of tertiary education in Serbia, with the aim of providing quality, flexible and efficient educational process.
The programme has been made in a way that gives the students highly-specialized competencies of analytical character (macroeconomic and microeconomic aspects) required for leading positions in policymaking – macroeconomic, public and microeconomic policies. In addition, it is dedicated to the formation of young scientists and their involvement in the research in the area of economic theory and analysis (macroeconomics and microeconomics) and continuation of education on PhD level.
We welcome all students who want to develop their career in professions of leaders and consultants in the area of economic and public policymaking (depending on selected groups of courses/electives (modules) – macroeconomic, microeconomic or public policy ones). Students will be able to work on tasks of economic analysts and consultants in business sector, as well as on tasks related to formulation, realization and economic and public policymaking in government institutions (ministries and agencies), as well as in independent regulatory bodies, government units on the local level (cities and towns), and economic institutes and other scientific organizations. Knowledge and competencies given by this programme provide significant basis for students to continue scientific research on PhD level.
Start semester: October
|Degree:||MSc in Economics|
|Fees:||1 ECTS = 3.459,48 RSD (42 ECTS = 145.298 RSD).
Final 18 ECTS devoted to master thesis development and professional practice: 41.458 RSD
Programme quota: 25
Government-funded quota: 5
Phone: +381698066384, +381698066385, +381698066386
Academic programme “Economic Analysis and Policy” is a one-year master degree programme on which students acquire 60 ECTS. The programme provides knowledge in the area of economic theory, analysis and policy, which implies the application of complex economic concepts and models in the area of managing economic functions of the government, application of software packages for complex economic analysis during economic policymaking and decision-making of creators of economic policy, formulation, testing and evaluation of various macroeconomic and microeconomic models with purpose of economic forecasting and creating operational materials. Students will be able to apply developed analytical and computational skills in solving problems of policymaking (macroeconomic, public and microeconomic), as well as skills of verbal and written communications for ideas and attitudes presentation. Acquired competencies will give students the ability to be team leaders in various government entities and business sector and to employ skills of interpersonal communication and decision-making.
Depending on the chosen module, students acquires specific competencies necessary for managing concrete tasks. Academic programme “Economic Analysis and Policy” consists of three modules: “Macroeconomic Policies”, “Microeconomic Policies” and “Public Policies”. Each of these encompasses three mandatory courses and three electives (out of two sets of electives). The programme is in accordance with contemporary world tendencies in development of economics, but also with curriculums and teaching methods at foreign universities.
QUALIFICATIONS AND JOB PERSPECTIVES
Programme aims to:
- Educate experts – master degree economists who will have highly-specialized competencies of analytical character (macroeconomic and microeconomic aspects) required for leading positions in policymaking – macroeconomic, public and microeconomic policies
- Introduce graduates to professions of leaders and consultants in the area of economic and public policymaking (depending on chosen groups of courses/elective areas (modules) – macroeconomic, microeconomic or public policy ones)
- Educate young scientists and involve them in research in the area of economic theory and analysis (macroeconomics and microeconomics) and prepare them to continue their education on PhD level
- Educate experts and leaders who will professionally and in an ethical way perform tasks of master-degree economist.
After successful completion of the programme, students will be able to:
- Apply complex economic concepts and models in the area of managing of economic functions of the government with purpose of economic and public policymaking in ministries and regulatory bodies
- Apply software packages for complex economic analysis during economic policymaking and decision-making of creators of economic policy
- Know the processes of public decision-making by creators of policies and conflicts between actors of decision-making
- Create, test and evaluate different macroeconomic and microeconomic models in order to make economic forecasts
- Apply the methods of regulation for policies creation, and competition protection (in regulatory bodies and business sector
- Formulate and manage complex projects and programmes in government sector in domain of digital and green economy
- Formulate and manage social and educational policy and policies against poverty
- Formulate employment policies in accordance with the goals of economic and social development
- Formulate industrial policies with the aim to increase competitiveness
- Formulate complex projects in local administrations on solving the problems common pool resources
- Manage tasks of creation and implementation of economic, public and microeconomic policies
- Manage the work of national employment agency
- Manage government regulatory entities
- Manage analytical work in business sector
- Manage analytical work in regulatory bodies
- Manage analytical work in consultant agencies
- Manage and evaluate teaching processes in area of economics in secondary schools
- Perform teaching activities in area of economics in secondary schools
- Perform teaching assistant activities on undergraduate and specialist studies (teaching assistant)
- Perform complex scientific research work in institutes and faculties
- Comment economic tendencies and give predictions in mass media
- Edit publications in economic sphere in publication companies
- Manage analytical work in non-government organizations
- Perform individually and with full responsibility managing jobs of the most complex projects
- Accept with easiness new solutions and arguments with critical opinion and ethics on work
- Control the work process and evaluate others’ performances.
Jobs which can be performed by students after the graduation on “Economic Analysis and Policy” programme (depending on chosen module) are: managing position of analytical sector in business sector and government, managing position of economist in entities of government (municipalities), managing positions of economist in central banks, positions of scientific researcher in economics (in institutes and other scientific organizations), consultant and managing positions of economist in ministries, consultant and managing positions of economist in government agencies and regulatory bodies, consultant and managing positions of economist in non-government organizations, consultant and managing positions of economist in national employment agency, consultant and managing positions of economist in labour unions, consultant and managing positions of economist in employers unions, positions of analysts of economic tendencies in business sector, banks and international economic organizations, positions of analysts of economic tendencies in mass media, positions of editors in publishing companies related to economics, positions of teaching assistants of economics at universities, positions of teachers of economics in secondary schools.
Candidates who have completed four years of undergraduate degree (240 ECTS) may apply for admission to the Master of Academic Studies. Applicants who have completed Integrated Studies or Master Academic Studies, earning at least 300 ECTS, may also be enrolled in the first year of Master Academic Studies.
The ranking list for enrolment in the first year of master academic studies is determined based on the general grade average, length of study in previous studies and the result on the entrance exam.
Candidates take two subjects in the entrance exam:
1. Principles of Economics
2. Candidates select another course from the following course selection group:
- Basic Macroeconomics
- Macroeconomic Analysis
- History of Economics
A condition for enrolment is to earn more than half of the maximum number of credits in each subject. Having completed the application and testing process, a unique ranking of the candidates is published.
The final ranking of candidates for enrolment is obtained by creating a ranking list, formed as follows:
1. Quadrupled GPA from undergraduate academic studies (up to 40 points)
2. Number of points in tests (2 tests with 20 points each)
3. The total number of points is adjusted by the length of study by subtracting 0,25 points for each month of study after the expiry of the deadline for graduation, as follows, 0,25 points are added for each month of study beyond the deadline. For study programmes with 240 ECTS, the deadline is four years; for study programs with 180 ECTS the deadline is three years; for master academic studies of 60 ECTS is one year, while the expected deadline for completion of master’s academic studies of 120 ECTS is two years.
Candidates who in their previous university studies had a subject with syllabus similar to the one of the entrance exams subjects at the University of Belgrade – Faculty of Economics, may use the grade from that subject instead of taking the entrance exam test in that subject. Instead of points on a given test, student receive doubled grade earned on that subject as their corresponding score.
Candidates holding foreign degrees need to have their degrees recognised by the University of Belgrade in order to apply for enrolment. We encourage potential candidates to submit their requests for recognition by mid-July (or earlier) at the latest, in order to meet the application and enrolment deadlines, as the procedure can take up to a few weeks. At the moment, for candidates applying for IMT programme, it is sufficient to provide evidence that the recognition process has been initiated. All relevant information about the recognition procedure can be found at the University page: http://www.bg.ac.rs/en/education/recognition.php?submenuheader=10
The tuition fee for courses of the Master Academic Studies (42 ECTS) is 145.298,00 RSD. In the final phase of the study, the tuition fee for 18 ECTS related to the master thesis and student internship is 41.548,00 RSD.
First instalment – 40% at enrolment
Second instalment – 20% until 15.1.
Third instalment – 20% until 15.3.
Fourth instalment – 20% until 15.5.
Fifth instalment for 18 ECTS is 41.548 RSD in the final stage of the study
The tuition fee for foreign students is 1500 euros (official middle RSD exchange rate at the NBS on the day of payment) and 41.548,00 RSD in the final stage of the study.
University of Belgrade – Faculty of Economics
Kamenička 6, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
Tel: +381698066384, +381698066385, +381698066386