BRANKO UROSEVIC PhD
Phone:+381 11 3021118
PhD – 1997-2002, Haas School of Business (Business Administration/Finance), University of California, Berkeley, CA, USA
PhD – 1991-1995, Physics Department, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
МSc – 1990-1991, Physics Department, Brown University, Providence, RI, USA
Diploma – 1983-1989, Moscow State University “M.V. Lomonosov”, Moscow, Russia
Awards, grants, certificates, memberships, corporate / public service
Academic and Scientific Appointments
- Vice Chairman, National Council for Higher Education (main regulatory body for higher education) of the Republic of Serbia (2015-present)
- Member of the European Economic Advisory Group (2015-present)
- Member of the Board of Directors, Serbian Society of Academic Economists (2015-present)
- Full Professor, Finance and Operations Research, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade (2013-present)
- Affiliate Member of CESIfo Research Network, Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität, Munich, Germany (2013-present)
- Associate Professor in Finance and Operations Research, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade (2009-2013)
- Member of the Economics Council, Serbian Academy of Arts and Sciences (2009-present)
- Assistant Professor in Finance and Operations Research, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade (2005-2009)
- Visiting Professor in Finance, ICEF, Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia (2010-present)
- Assistant Professor in Finance, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona (2002-2005)
- Program Director, International Master in Quantitative Finance, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade (since creation in 2003-present), the leading graduate program in finance and economics in South Eastern Europe
- Program Co-Director, Master in Finance, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona (2003-2005)
- Research and Teaching Assistant, Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley (1997-2002)
- Research and Teaching Assistant, Physics Department, Brown University (1991-1995)
Editorial Board Membership
- Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control (2006-2009)
- Economic Annals (2009-present)
- Panoeconomicus (2011-present)
- YUJOR (2011-present)
- American Economic Review
- Journal of Finance
- Journal of Political Economy
- Review of Economics Studies
- Journal of the Economic Theory
- Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control
- Journal of Risk and Insurance
- European Economic Review
- Journal of Corporate Finance
- Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics
- Management Science
- Review of Finance
- Scandinavian Journal of Econonics
Relevant Professional Experience
- Advisor to the Governor, National Bank of Serbia (from 2010-present)
- Member of the Advisory Board, Dilijan Research Center of the Central Bank of Armenia (2013-present)
- Senior expert in charge of developing a comprehensive strategy for development of a world-class research center at the Central Bank of Armenia facility in Dilijan, Armenia (2012)
- Senior expert on a study aimed at creating a benchmark risk model and risk management strategy for the Treasury Department of the Republic of Serbia (2009)
- Chairman of the Board, South European Center for Contemporary Finance (SECCF) (2003-2011), an NGO dedicated to development of finance and economics research and education in South Eastern Europe
- Chairman of the Board, Dunav Penzije, the largest pension fund in Serbia (2009-2010)
- Founding Partner and Head of Risk Managent Practice, Center for Investments and Finance, Belgrade (2004-2010).
- Co-Chair, Dubrovnik Lectures in Banking and Finance, Dubrovnik, Croatia (2008-2010), organizing world-class executive training in finance for the area of South Eastern Europe
- Manager, Strategy Consulting Group, KPMG, Chicago, IL (1997)
- Associate, McKinsey and Co, Chicago, IL (1995-1997)
Fields of teaching and research
Ownership Policy and Incentives, Financial Networks and Financial Stability, Risk and Portfolio Management, Real Estate Finance, Housing Markets, Fixed Income Markets
- Advanced Corporate Finance (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain)
- Financial Derivatives (Faculty of Economics, University Belgrade)
- Financial Economics (Universtitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain, Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade)
- Financial Management (Haas School of Business, U.C. Berkeley, USA)
- Investments (Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade)
- Market Risk Management (Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade)
- Robust Portfolio Management (ICEF, Higher School of Economics, Moscow, Russia)
- Real Estate Finance (Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain)
- Operations Research (Faculty of Economics, Belgrade)
Key references (publications and projects)
- ‘Operations Research and Investment Science’ (with M. Božović, in Serbian), Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade (2009).
- ‘Quantitative Methods in Corporate Finance’ (in Serbian), Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade (2009).
- ‘Financial Economics’ (in Serbian), Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade (2008).
- ‘Dynamic Optimization of Optimal Ownership Structure of a Corporation’ (in Serbian), Faculty of Economics, University of Belgrade (2007).
- ‘The Housing market and housing finance in Russia and its regions – a quantitative analysis’ (coauthored wtih Carsten Sprenger), Chapter 10 in Global Housing Markets: Crises, Policies, and Institutions, editors: Ashok Bardhan, Robert Edelstein and Cynthia Kroll, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 229–246, 2011.
- ‘The Housing Market in Serbia in the Past Decade’, (coauthored with Dejan Šoškić, Boško Živković, and Miloš Božović). Chapter 11 in Global Housing Markets: Crises, Policies, and Institutions, editors: Ashok Bardhan, Robert Edelstein and Cynthia Kroll, John Wiley & Sons, pp. 247–267, 2011.
Selected papers on citation index list in economics
- ‘Noise and Aggregation of Information in Large Markets” (with Diego Garcia), Journal of Financial Markets, 2013, 16(3), 526-550
- ‘European Bond ETFs: Tracking Error and the Sovereign Debt Crisis” (with Mikica Drenovak and Ranko Jelic), European Financial Management, 2012, electronic edition doi: 10.1111/j.1468-036X.2012.00649.x.
- ‘Jackknife Model Averaging of the Current Account Determinants” (with Milan Nedeljković and Emir Zildžović), Panoeconomicus, 2012, 3, 267-281
- ‘Zipf rank approach and cross-country convergence of incomes” (with Jia Shao, Plamen Ch Ivanov, H.Eugene Stanley, and Boris Podobnik), Europhysics Letters, 2011, Europhysics Letters, 94, 48001, p. 1-6
- ‘Credit Rating Agencies and Moral Hazard” (with Miloš Božović and Milan Boško Živković), Panoeconomicus, 2011, 58 (2), 219–227
- Bankruptcy Risk Model and Empirical Tests” (with Boris Podobnik, Davor Horvatic, Alexander Petersen, and Eugene Stanley), Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences of the United States (PNAS), 2010, vol 107 (43), 18325-18331.
- “Ownership Dynamics with Multiple Insiders: The Case of REITs“ (with Antoni Sureda, Robert Edelstein and Nicholas Wonder). Real Estate Economics, 2009, November, 38(1), 57-90.
- “Overconfidence and market efficiency with heterogeneous agents” (with Diego Garcia and Francesco Sangiorgi). Economic Theory, 2007, 30, 313-336.
- “Optimal Ownership Policy by a ‘Large Shareholder’” (sa Peter DeMarzo). Journal of Political Economy, 2006, 114(4), 774-815.
- “Static Mean-Variance Analysis with Uncertain Time Horizon” (sa Lionel Martellini). Management Science, 2006, 52(6), p. 955-964.
- “Valuing Mortgage Insurance Contracts in Emerging Market Economies” (sa A. Bardhan and R. Karapandža). Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 2006, vol. 32 (1), 9-20.
- “Ownership Dynamics of REITs” (sa R. Edelstein i N. Wonder). Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, 2005, vol. 30 (4), 447-466.
- “Optimal Loan Interest Rate Contract Design” (sa Robert Edelstein), Journal of Real Estate Finance and Economics, vol. 26 (2/3), February 2003.
Selected papers on citation index list in physics
- “Perturbative Calculations in the Effective Lagrangian and 2d Closed String Field Theory”, (sa Julian Lee), 1995, Nucl.Phys. B 446, 119-143.
- “Off-Shell Amplitudes in Two Dimensional Open String Field Theory”, 1994, Phys. Rev. D 50, 4075-4078.
- “Scattering of Discrete States in Two Dimensional Open String Field Theory”, 1993, Phys. Rev. D 48, 5827-5837.
- “Perturbation Theory in Two Dimensional Open String Field Theory”, 1993, Phys. Rev. D 47, 5460-5469.
- “Quantum Oscillators: On Applications in Statistic Mechanics” (sa Predragom Neskovicem), 1992, Int. J. Mod. Phys. A 7, 3379-3388.
- “On the Component Analysis of Modified Superstring Field Theory” (sa Alex Zubarev), 1990, Phys. Lett. B 246, 391-398.
- “Classical p-adic Space-Time” (sa Branko Dragovic i Paul Frampton), 1990, Mod. Phys. Lett.. A 5, 1521-1528.
- “BRST Cohomology and Generalized Bosonization of the Superconformal Ghosts” (sa Irina Arefeva, Peter Medvedev, iAlex Zubarev), 1989, Phys. Lett. B 225, 240-245.
Directing Scientific Projects
- “Risks of financial institutions and markets in Serbia: microeconomic and macroeconomic analysis”, a project financed by the Ministry for Education and Science, Republic of Serbia (from 2010-)
- “Development of Financial and Mortgage Markets and Institutions in Serbia”, a project financed by the Ministry of Science and Technology, Republic of Serbia (from 2006-2010).
- Director of Belgrade Node, RICAFE 2 European Commission Project (a part of Framework Project 6), jointly with London School of Economics, University of Tilburg, University of Torino, Hebrew University and HEC Paris (2006–2009).
Participating in Scientific Projects
- “Asymmetric information and economic theory II”, a project supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology of Spain (2007-2010).
- “Asymmetric information and economic theory”, a project supported by the Ministry of Science and Technology of Spain (2003-2007).
- “European Union vs the United States – Differences in Company Ownership”, supported by the BBVA Foundation (2005-2007).
- “Optimal Design of Mortgage Contracts”, project supported by the Fisher Center for Real Estate and Urban Economics, USA (1998-2002).
- “Conformal Models and Two Dimensional Superstring Theory”, project supported by the Department of Energy, USA (1991-1995).